In terms of food trends, the world has moved on from rainbow and unicorn-coloured treats, and there’s a hot new trend in town: Activated charcoal.
Dark-tinted snacks are taking Instagram by storm and you can’t scroll through your feed without being flooded by charcoal pizza, lattes, cocktails, ice cream and more!
The idea is that a small sprinkling of activated charcoal in your diet may help detoxify your system without changing the flavour of your favourite foods. With that in mind, we’ve got some of our favourite foods and snacks and turned them to the dark side…
- 120ml warm water
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- Dash of white sugar
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 170 g white flour
- 3 tablespoons of activated charcoal powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Tomato puree
- Toppings to taste. Our choice: mushrooms, cheese, chorizo, Parma ham and cherry tomatoes
- Mix together the yeast, sugar, and the warm water. Cover and let sit for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is lightly bubbly.
- Combine the flour, activated charcoal powder, and salt then stir in the yeast mixture.
- Wash your hands then knead the dough on a floured surface until it is smooth and flexible. Shape into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough into a large bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp towel then move to a warm place. After one hour, push down on the dough’s surface and cover the bowl again with the damp towel. Let the dough rise again for another 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 280 degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper if you don’t have a pizza stone. Flatten the dough into a circular shape, forming the pizza base.
- Drizzle the crust with olive oil and evenly spread out your favourite pizza toppings.
- Slide the pizza into the hot oven and leave for 15 minutes, or until the pizza crust had risen and becomes crispy.
- Slice your pizza into 8 and serve immediately.
Ingredients (Makes 4)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 300g plain flour
- 350ml warm milk
- 75ml vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons activated charcoal powder
- Pinch of salt
- Toppings of choice (try this savoury option with streaky bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and green leaves)
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas Mark 5) and line a baking tray with foil. Place the bacon on the tray with thinly sliced mushrooms and baby tomatoes and grill until the bacon is cooked to your liking.
- While you are waiting for the ingredients to cook, start making the waffle mixture:
- Combine flour, baking powder, activated charcoal and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the warm milk into the batter and whisk to combine and to remove any lumps.
- Once the batter is of a smooth consistency, cook in a waffle iron to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Finally, place your waffles on a plate and add your chosen toppings. Viola!
Charcoal Smoothie Bowl
- ½ bag of frozen fruit: Our favourite combination is mango and raspberry!
- 3 teaspoons of activated charcoal
- Kiwi, sliced
- Blueberries, whole
- Desiccated coconut
- Chia seeds
- Add your frozen fruit to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. If the liquid is too thin, add more fruit and if it’s too thick add a dash of water or milk.
- Add the activated charcoal and blend again until the mixture turns black.
- Pour the mix into a bowl and get creative with your garnish of sliced kiwi, blueberries, desiccated coconut and chia seeds!
Ingredients (Makes 4)
- 150g plain flour.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1 tablespoon baking powder.
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar.
- 225ml milk.
- 1 egg.
- 2 tablespoons of activated charcoal
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and charcoal into a large mixing bowl or measuring jug.
- Pour in the milk, then crack the egg in.
- Mix the batter gently to ensure capture air bubbles in the mixture.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Ladle some of the batter mix into the pan and allow to cook. Keep checking the underside of the pancake and once it is cooked evenly flip gently with a spatula and continue cooking until this side is done.
- Remove the cooked pancake and place on a plate.
- Repeat this process until the batter is finished, then serve your pancakes with your choice of toppings and enjoy immediately!